The icky weather – rain and cold for the last 5 days – hasn’t stopped me from dreaming about warmer weather and our favorite family activity: camping.
Since the little one and husband dug into the Dandies marshmallows already, I figured they’d be the perfect centerpiece to some sort of recipe that reminded me of camping. I started thinking about other flavors that remind me of camping and the first that came to my mind was smokiness.
I thought about doing something with liquid smoke and vegan marshmallows, but I wasn’t sure where to take it. When I spotted the big tub of homemade almond butter in the fridge I realized that a cookie would be the perfect vehicle for those flavors!
To get the smokiness I used vegan coconut bacon, though you can use any kind of vegan bacon you like – just make sure it is broken into small pieces. The base is a chocolate-almond combination that provides the perfect saltiness to the sweetness of the marshmallows.
If you use almond butter that already contains sugar, you can skip the added sugar, though they’ll have a bit more of a savory flavor than a sweet one (which is fine by me). So, adjust your sugar based on your personal preferences.
Quick Tip: I used a kitchen shears to cut up the marshmallows – this was by far an easier way to do it than trying to chop with a knife. If you don’t have a kitchen shears, lightly wet the blade of your knife before cutting the marshmallows to keep them from sticking.
Until the weather gets nicer around here, I’ll have these cookies to help me through – though I don’t think I’ll need much help eating the entire batch myself 🙂
- 1½ cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- ¼ cup Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ½ cup Applesauce
- ¾ cup Almond (or Soy) Milk
- ¼ cup Vegan Bacon, broken into pieces
- 4 Vegan Marshmallows, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients (except for the bacon and marshmallows). In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, including the brown sugar. Whisk until well blended.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix together until well-combined. Add in the bacon bits and marshmallows and mix just until they are dispersed throughout the dough.
- Using a spoon or ice cream scoop, drop a tablespoon or so of dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Gently flatten with the back of the spoon (moisten with water to make this easier).
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until marshmallows begin to brown.
What are you most looking forward to this summer?