Campfire Cooking: Grocery List
Now that we’ve covered all of the cooking, cleaning, and equipment essentials, it’s time to talk a bit more about the food itself. I know I discussed the items that you should keep in your camping ‘pantry’, but this post is more about the food you should buy the day or two before you strike out on your camping trip. This list would be appropriate for a family of 4 for 2 days of camping (approx. 24 individual meals).
I’ll be posting recipes soon, but in the mean time feel free to experiment with these ingredients along with the pantry items to whip up some meals for your hungry campers!
- 2 packages Extra Firm Tofu - Uses: Scramble, Pan-Fried, Fried (for Po’ Boys)
- Green Peppers
- 8 Ears of Sweet Corn (soak them, husk and all, in water and then grill!)
- 2 32 oz cans Black Beans – Uses: Soup, Tacos, Dip
- Loaf of Whole Wheat Bread or GF Bread – Uses: Sandwiches, Toast
- Almond Butter
- Earth Balance Spread
- 2 packages Tempeh – Uses: Grilled, Crumbled for Soups or Tacos
- Fresh Fruit – Apples, Oranges, and Bananas work best for camping
- Oats (quick oats if you are in a hurry, steel cut if you have more time)
- Canned Tomatoes – Uses: Soup, Scramble
- Chips & Salsa (a great quick snack before dinner!)
- Tortillas – Uses: Wraps for Lunch, Tacos
- Tofurky Sandwich Meat
- Vegan Cheese Singles (Nutritional Galaxy has good ones)
Also, you won’t want to forget the adult beverages – that’s the best part of camping, after all! Have a wonderful weekend and holiday week and travel safely!