Recipe Remake: Brined Cauliflower Steaks
One of the biggest benefits I’ve seen so far, personally, from the Whole Life Challenge, is that it has forced me to go even further outside of the box in order to create fun and flavorful dinners. I never realized how much I relied on soy, grains, and corn to create my meals and being unable to use my staples I’ve been pushing my creative limits in the kitchen. I mean, I can only eat so many steamed veggie bowls (no matter how delicious), so pushing myself to creative new dishes has been fun and challenging.
I have been wanting to make cauliflower steaks for some time now, but I just never got around to it. After I saw this recipe [warning: contains pictures of meat] on Serious Eats a couple of weeks ago, I knew I wanted to recreate those grilled and lemon flavors and that cauliflower would be the perfect way to do it.
I am so glad that I attempted to brine cauliflower – I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to eating it any other way. The initial salty crunch gives way to a tangy, refreshing, and tender bite of cauliflower. I felt very much like I was eating at a high end restaurant when I dove into this dish and the flavors did not disappoint! The lemon flavor was prominent, but not overpowering, and the light char taste from the grill pan added a bit of a smokey undertone that you normally get when grilling over coals.
The brining process is actually quite easy and the cauliflower holds up well to it. Though you have to start this dish about 1-2 hours before you are ready to eat, the end result is completely worth it. I simply put the brine in a large zipper bag, added the sliced cauliflower, and put the bag in a plastic container in the fridge for an hour – it worked beautifully and cleanup was minimal.
I served these steaks with a side of spaghetti squash for a dinner that was both filling and nutritious, without any of the added plate-fillers I normally fall back on (rice, pasta). This could be dressed up even more with a nice green salad for a fancier ‘steakhouse’ dinner.
- 1 Head Cauliflower, sliced into steaks
- 2 cups Water
- ¼ cup Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Stevia
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, mashed w/pinch of salt into paste
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- ¼ tsp Thyme
- ¼ tsp Oregano
- ¼ tsp Rosemary
- Dash of Red Pepper Flakes
- In a medium bowl, mix together the brine ingredients and pour into a gallon zipper bag. Gently add the cauliflower slices, seal, and place in a container in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil and garlic until bubbles start to form around the garlic. Remove from heat, let cool for five minutes, and whisk in remaining baste ingredients. Remove the cauliflower from the brine and shake off any excess liquid. Place on grill on and baste liberally. Cook 3-5 minutes, flip, baste again, and cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until each side starts to become golden in color. Serve!
How have you pushed your creative boundaries lately? What kind of creations have been the product of your experimentation?