Southwest Mac and Cheese
Happy Meatless Monday! I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. The fam and I went to a new state park over the weekend and did some exploring and we got a last-minute invite to a Twins game on Sunday, so needless to say it was a jam-packed couple of days!
While we may be back to the routine of the workweek it doesn’t mean you can’t spice things up a bit, and what better way to do so that with some southwest style mac and cheese? This vegan mac and cheese has tons of flavor with all of the traditional characteristics of a baked mac and cheese, including the creamy sauce and crispy breadcrumb topping.
If you like things really spicy you could definitely throw some green chilies or jalapeno. I found that they addition of the hot salsa on top at the end was the perfect bite of spice to go along with the other textures and flavors of the dish. This recipe makes enough to feed about 10 people, so it’s great for potlucks or family dinners.
- 16 oz Large Shell Pasta
- 3 tbsp Earth Balance
- 3 tbsp AP Flour
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth or Soy Milk
- 3/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Ground Tumeric
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 15 oz Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Corn, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cook the noodles according the package directions.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the Earth Balance and whisk in the flour. Cook for a few seconds or until bubbly. Add the broth or milk and whisk well. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the nutritional yeast and spices. Cook 1-2 minutes or until mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and mix in the mustard and corn. Stir well and let sit for 2-3 minutes, allowing the corn to a cook a bit.
- Add the noodles and black beans to a large casserole dish. Pour the cheese sauce mixture over the noodles and beans and stir well.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the top and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the top starts to brown lightly. Let cool for at least 10 minutes and top with salsa.